1. Matthew McConaughey wins
Let’s start with the awards though shall we? As expected Gravity swept the boards, Cate Blanchett took home the award for Best Actress in a Leading Role and 12 Years a Slave closed the night by winning Best Picture. Something a little less expected was Matthew McConaughey’s victory in the leading actor category. That’s not to say he didn’t deserve it – although many were backing Chiwetel Ejiofor and the lovely Leo (who has been pipped to the post FOUR times now) – because he was absolutely breath-taking as Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club. However, it’s a more surprising victory when we look back on pretty-boy McConaughey’s filmography. The Wedding Planner, Failure to Launch, Fool’s Gold; it’s pretty remarkable how far he’s come.
2. John Travolta’s blunder
So for those of you unfamiliar with the spectacular Idina Menzel, here’s a tip – she’s kind of a big deal. She is the queen of Wicked, she is the voice of Elsa in Frozen, and she’s the lady behind ‘Let It Go’ – this year’s Best Original Song. Now John Travolta had only one job to do at the Academy Awards. He just had to introduce her, that’s all, but boy did he cock it up. ‘Please welcome the wickedly talented one and only Adele Dazeem.' Adele Dazeem. Not even close. Of course the internet went wild for it and I for one have been having lots of fun ‘Travoltifying’ with ‘The Adele Dazeem Name Generator.’
3. The selfie to end all selfies
If you’re on Twitter and haven’t seen this already then you’re doing something very wrong because this photo is officially the most retweeted photo of all time (at the moment it’s had just over three million retweets). It all started when Oscar host, Ellen DeGeneres, went to take a selfie with Meryl Streep. Julia Roberts was sitting directly behind her so Ellen told her to get in too. Channing Tatum was a few seats across so he got involved as well. All of a sudden chaos ensued and there was an A-list explosion. Along came Brangelina, Kevin Spacey, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Best Supporting Actor and Actress Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o, and even Lupita’s brother Junior managed to slip in to the picture that made Twitter explode.
4. Benedict Cumberbomb’s
If the star laden selfie was the best photo of the night, then this definitely takes second place. It’s Cumberbatch and he was up to his old tricks again as he proceeded to photobomb U2 as they took to the red carpet. It’s a solid effort; look at the dizzy heights he’s managed to reach here.
5. The stars order takeaway
I doubt that the majority of the Oscar attendees have had many encounters with fast food in recent years, but Ellen DeGeneres took it upon herself to order a pizza for one and all and it was much appreciated. Said appreciation is here demonstrated by Mr Brad Pitt; look at him go.
6. Pharrell got the party started Pharrell did the unthinkable when it came to his wardrobe and came to the 86th Academy Awards wearing shorts. I don’t know if that’s ever happened before but this alone makes him the most daring man on the red carpet (he also moisturised his legs which was a nice touch, they were so shiny). He then took to the stage to perform his Oscar nominated song ‘Happy’ and during his performance he got down with the likes of Lupita Nyongo’, Amy Adams, and he even got a shimmy out of the one and only Meryl Streep. He also kindly donated his trademark hat to Ellen so she could use it to collect all the money (plus a lipbalm from Lupita) that the A-listers owed her for the pizza.
7. Jim Carey does an incredible Bruce Dern impression
Bruce Dern was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role for playing Woody Grant in Nebraska and Jim Carrey used his time on stage to do an impression of this character. It was a very good impression at that – the voice was spot on and those facial expressions are uncanny. Yes, it was a little strange and out of place but it was pretty convincing.
8. Wise words from Cate Blanchett
Cate Blanchett is pretty much flawless. She’s beautiful, talented, and also extremely gracious as she used her acceptance speech to commend the efforts of her fellow nominees. She also delivered a few home truths that were real breaths of fresh air for us women. She thanked Sony Classics "for so bravely and intelligently distributing the film and to the audiences who went to see it and perhaps those of us in the industry who are still foolishly clinging to the idea that female films with women at the centre are niche experiences. They are not. Audiences want to see them and, in fact, they earn money. The world is round, people.” Yeah, you tell ‘em Cate.
9. Liza got buuuuurned
Poor Liza Minnelli had a pretty rough night. Ellen was pretty restrained when it came to dishing out the dirt on the audience but unfortunately for Liza she didn’t manage to escape unscathed. 'Hello to the best Liza Minnelli impersonator I’ve ever seen. Good job, sir.' Ouch. Things went from bad to worse for poor old Liza when she was ousted from the super selfie (it is a little funny though, that’s her in the cobalt blue). It wasn’t all bad news though; she got her own personal selfie with Ellen and doesn’t she look happy about it? #Besties.
10) J-Law takes a tumble once again Jennifer Lawrence is never ever going to live down her infamous drop at last year’s Academy Awards – Ellen DeGeneres took a good minute at this year’s ceremony to remind her all about it. You’d think she would have been a bit more careful next time round but low and behold, she did it again. It wasn’t quite as chaotic on this occasion because she fell on the red carpet which I suppose is preferable to falling up the stairs to the stage as you go to collect your award…maybe it’s a good thing she didn’t win again this year, who knows what could have happened? We love her for it anyway, and she didn’t care because she finally got herself some pizza.
By Laura Heffernan